BACK TO CRAFTING!
Well, not exactly, but I do what I can without having all my craft supplies on hand while living at my in-laws' house. I have, however, taken FULL advantage of my mother-in-law's sewing machine-- a beautiful Singer just calling my name! I'm no sewing aficionado, but I can make the easy stuff, so if I can do it, YOU can do it :)
The other day I made two pillows and a pillow case. Here are the results:
This pillow cost me $.50-- because I took an easy-peasy tip from Jill and sewed two placemats together, inside out, leaving a few inches for stuffing. After flipping it the right way and stuffing it, simply sew the opening together by hand by using the slipstitch. For help with beginning sewing techniques and types of stitches, click here.
Essentially, placemats and napkins serve as precut fabrics for pillows. I bought these particular placemats at the Et Cetera thrift store in a set because they totally match my living room colors and style, but I saw some great napkins that would suffice for pillows with great patterns at Ten Thousand Villages for only $6.00 each. Honestly $12=batting and thread expenses is not that expensive for a personalized pillow :) To see their website, click here.
I don't have a picture yet because, well, honestly, I haven't stuffed it yet. Sorry!
Now this fabric was actually leftover from the pillowcase, so they are meant to coordinate on our bed. My inspiration came from some pillows on Pinterest (as usual): Pillows!
I only used three different fabrics, because I actually didn't plan on making this pillow, so I just used what I had on hand. The back is blue, and the front is a sage green and a funky pattern:
Once again, I don't have a picture of the final product because I haven't stuffed it yet.
Simply sew the front together (patterns facing each other so the seam remains inside the pillow) and you can replicate this for as many fabrics as you have (ah, the possibilities!!!!)
For the flowers, I actually used felt and sewed by hand, according to this blog's instructions: The Fickle Pickle.
I completed three flowers, like the pillow I found on Pinterest.
This was the most complex of the three, and yet, it wasn't too bad! Like I said, if I can do it, you can do it :)
Using the same fabric as above, I took 3/4 yard and added 3 inches of 1/2" hemmed coordinating fabric all the way around one edge. This first photo below is of the hem job: the key is pins and pressing!
So, learn from me: MAKE THEM LONGER FIRST and then you can roll the edges inward and hem from there, as she suggests in the first place. I just didn't listen. Lesson learned!
Here is the completed pillowcase:
Phew! What an afternoon!
How I missed crafting :)