Pages

Monday, February 13, 2012

DIY Canvas Art

The story goes like this: our loyal but clueless beagle chewed up my antique version of Huckleberry Finn, which is devastating to an English major who enjoys collecting things! I decided I needed a way to salvage the pages at least!

My poor book! :(
Using my faithful Mod Podge, I plastered select pages (ones in good conditions and preferably lacking the profanity that can generally be found in Mark Twain's novels) in several directions on a small canvas (bought from Hobby Lobby, 2 for $3.50!)

At the top of the picture you can see the canvas covered in paper.





I then used a Sharpie (fine tip first, then a thicker one later to fill out the color) to create the shape of a tree. Using an image to copy is helpful here!








I created the bird out of felt and fabric- sketch it first! That might sound obvious but I'd be lying if I said I didn't try to wing it first... In placing the bird on the canvas, I'll be real when I say I tried to place it over the area where my tree looked more like a blob and less like a tree.... Simply using hot glue, I adhered the bird strategically!



After adding some font (hope) to the bottom corner since I sort of thought it looked blank, I think it may be finished-- but I might add a Bible verse. Not sure yet.

The finished product :)

Since this is kind of colorful, I will probably end up using it in the baby's room! I first saw this idea on Pinterest and modified it for my own personal taste.







No comments:

Post a Comment